Dental exams include evaluating the risk of developing oral problems and may consist of diagnostic procedures. These are not only for the benefit of your oral health; they significantly affect your overall health as well. In fact, signs and symptoms of some systemic diseases show up in your mouth. If indications of these diseases are found, your dentist can refer you to a doctor and have these diseases treated earlier. Thus, having regular dental exams are a vital part of preventive health care.
If you are about to visit your dentist for a dental exam, here are a few tips that will help you prepare:
- Confirm your dental appointment and verify it 24 hours in advance. There are some offices that will do this for you, but it is an excellent idea to avoid miscommunication by calling and confirming the schedule.
- If you switched dentists and happen to be a new patient, contact your previous dental office to transfer your old records to your current dentist.
- Make sure that you arrive early in the dental office. Give yourself enough time to fill out the necessary forms, be friendly with the staff, and stay calm. Rushing into the dental office will not help you relax in the dentist’s chair.
- Communicate with your dentist and tell them about the dental issues you are facing to help them determine the treatment you will need. List down the problems you’ve experienced over the past six months, even if these problems are inactive. That way, you won’t forget the issues you’ve experienced, and prevent you from having a dental emergency in the future.
- Don’t let dental anxiety get the best of you. Scheduling the appointment is the first step to conquer your fear—and you’ve already done it. Canceling your appointment will only make your dental problems get worse. Talk to your dentist and explain your fear so they can provide treatments for your dental fear and anxiety.
Ensure that your oral health is in the best condition with Comprehensive Dental Exams in Vacaville, CA. Schedule an appointment with us at Bosler Implant & Cosmetic Dentistry for a healthy and strong smile! We are located at 301 Alamo Drive, Suite A-2, Vacaville, CA 95688.